January 17th Lesson—Daniel in the Lions’ Den
Bible Passage: Daniel 6
Story Point: God shut the mouths of the lions to save Daniel.
Key Passage: I Thessalonians 5:16-18
Big Picture Question: Why do we pray? We pray because we trust God, and we know He hears us.
1. Why did the other leaders want to get Daniel in trouble? (They were jealous of him, Dan. 6:3-4)
2. What law did Darius create? (For thirty days; people could not pray to anyone except him, Dan. 6:7)
3. What was Daniel’s response to the king’s law? (Daniel continued praying, Dan. 6:10)
4. Why do you think Daniel obeyed God rather than King Darius? Guide the kids to see that God is our ultimate authority. We are called to obey God above any earthly leaders. If Daniel were to obey the king’s decree to pray to him, Daniel would have been sinning against God.
5. Is it always easy to obey God? Why or why not? Help kids understand that obeying God can be difficult. We have to fight against our own sin, and we may face persecution from non-believers. Jesus reminded His disciples that we will be blessed when people mistreat us for His sake. (Matt. 5:11-12; John 15:18-19) We can also remember that Jesus faced punishment and even death when He was obedient to God’s plan to rescue sinners. (Heb. 5:7-9)
6. How can your obedience to God point others to His goodness? Explain that our obedience shows others that we really do trust God and believe the Bible. When we choose to follow God, especially when disobedience might seem easier, we demonstrate to the world that God is worthy of our obedience.
SAY •God shut the mouths of the lions to save Daniel. It’s not always easy to obey God, but God is faithful and He cares for us. He is all-powerful and good. We can trust that obeying Him is best for us.
Option 1: Three thanks
Invite family members to sit in a circle. Go around the circle and encourage each person to name three things she is thankful for. When everyone has shared, spend a minute thanking God for the way He has blessed everyone in your family.
SAY •Daniel loved God and prayed to God many times each day. Do you think Daniel was afraid when the king made a law saying prayer to God would be illegal?
Option 2: Lion, lion, Daniel
Instruct family members to sit in a circle on the floor. Choose one person to be It. It will walk around the circle, gently tapping each person’s head. With each tap, It will say “lion” until It gets to a kid of his choosing. Then It will tap that person and say, “Daniel.” The person he chose will chase It around the circle and try to tag It before he sits in her spot. Play as time allows.
SAY •In our game, there was one “Daniel” surrounded by lots of lions. It would be pretty scary to be surrounded by hungry lions. Imagine if you were in a cage with even one lion! Think about how Daniel felt when he was thrown into the lions’ den before God shut the lions’ mouths.
Pray together as a family.