April 11th Lesson—From Adam to Jesus
Bible Passage: Matthew 1; Luke 3; John 1
Story Point: Jesus’ family line proved He is the Messiah.
Key Passage: John 1:1-2
Big Picture Question: Is Jesus God or a human? As the Son of God, Jesus is both fully God and fully human.
1. Where was Jesus before He was born as a human baby? (with God the Father, John 1:1)
2. Who were three of the women named in Jesus’ family line? (Rahab, Ruth, and Mary; Matt. 1:5,16)
3. Who was Jesus’ earthly father? (Joseph, Luke 3:23)
4. Why is it important to understand who was part of Jesus’ family? Guide kids to understand that many of God’s promises about the coming Messiah had to do with specific families. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were promised blessings to bless the world; and David was promised a descendant who would reign forever. Seeing Jesus’ family line helps us understand that Jesus is the Messiah.
5. How do you feel knowing Jesus’ family was not perfect? Discuss the idea that God uses imperfect people to bring about His perfect plans. Jesus’ family was not perfect, our families are not perfect, and we are not perfect. Even so, God can use us in His plans.
6. How can we be a part of God’s family? Remind kids that Jesus’ death and resurrection made the way for us to be forgiven of sin and adopted into God’s family. Even though people in God’s family are not perfect, we can love one another and help one another with God’s power and help. Someday all believers will be perfected at Jesus’ return and the restoration of the world.
SAY •Jesus’ family line proved He is the Messiah. His family was not perfect, but God used them to bring our perfect Savior into the world. Jesus died on the cross to make the way for us to be in God’s family.
Option 1: Domino effects
Work as a family to set up various patterns of dominoes. Take turns pushing over the first domino to observe what happens. Challenge them to make many patterns and see if there are any patterns that won’t all fall down when the first domino is pushed.
SAY •Each domino that fell led right into the next. In a way, that’s kind of like our families. Each set of parents had kids, leading to the next generation. Today we’ve learned that Jesus’ family can be traced back through scripture.
Option 2: Family history
Select five or six people from Jesus’ family lineage about whom your kids have learned. Work together to retell stories you know about those people. Provide Bibles and help the kids find the passages the stories come from.
•Abraham (Gen. 22)
•Jacob (Gen. 27)
•Rahab (Josh. 2)
Ruth (Ruth 3)
•David (2 Sam. 7)
•Zerubbabel (Ezra 3)
SAY •When we look back at the Old Testament, we read story after story of God using imperfect people to bring about His perfect plan. All along the way, God was planning to send the Messiah, our perfect Rescuer. Jesus’ family line proved He is the Messiah. But God the Son existed before He was born as a human. He has always existed. Is Jesus God or a human? As the Son of God, Jesus is both fully God and fully human.
Pray together as a family.Activity Pages
Questions from Kids